Miniature Painting Concept Forum

Miniature Painting Concept Forum

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2006-04-27

PostSubject: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Fri 30 Mar, 0:40

Sven has bugged me for quite some time about getting a new camera and now I'm finally getting there... Smile Unless anyone tells me not to (and gives me a good reason why) I'm going to buy a Canon PowerShot A710 IS. I wouldn't mind having a digital SLR, but I can't afford it at this point (not without ditching my plans to go to Paris, at least Wink). From what I've heard this camera should do a fairly good job, at least! And it's very affordable. Smile

So, anyone got anything to say in the matter (positive, negative, cheeky... whatever)? Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sven
NMM adept

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2006-04-30

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Fri 30 Mar, 12:31

Looks great! Image stabilization will be your favourite feature when going to ravage mix open! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Fri 30 Mar, 12:33

@Sven
Yes, it will, won't it? Very Happy I didn't even think about that! I've pretty much made up my mind about this...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sven
NMM adept

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Fri 30 Mar, 13:15

Yeah.. it's a good choice! Smile Canon often make great digital cameras.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Thu 5 Apr, 11:48

I'm getting the camera today! Very Happy I'm really excited... bounce

I expect it to be a bit of work before I can take really good photos as everything can be set manually on this camera and I need to learn how to and what settings work best. My old camera didn't have any options so it was basically just point and click.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orb
Dry brusher
Dry brusher

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-02-19

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Fri 6 Apr, 0:55

Cool Anders!

New toy.....always fun!

Well judging from the quality of pics you get from your old camera, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can get out of a new one.

I got a lens for my camera with Image Stabilisation; pretty cool. I took these hand held at a model show in february with it - had a flash but it was pointing at the ceiling;

Back to top Go down
View user profile
green stuff
NMM adept

Number of posts : 446

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Fri 6 Apr, 1:34

Great pics Rob! The first two are my favorite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/green%20stuff/orderby/Descen
Sven
NMM adept

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Fri 6 Apr, 2:04

mm.. very nice Rob! Who made them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orb
Dry brusher
Dry brusher

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Fri 6 Apr, 11:52

The first I'm not sure about!
The second is by a Kiwi living in the UK called Callum, a strictly historical and oil painter......here's another pic I took of a converted version of the same figure by him (I set up a photography booth at a small show - see GW? not hard is it!!!! Very Happy )

The third is by a guy called Steve Walks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Sun 8 Apr, 16:42

The camera surely is fun to play with! I think I'm getting the hang of how to set it up for mini photography, but I really should be getting a few new lamps.

A new toy!! cheers bounce Very Happy

So, here's some comparison shots...

Old camera:

New camera:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orb
Dry brusher
Dry brusher

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Mon 9 Apr, 1:25

Hi Anders!

thats a fascinating comparison; obviously there are factors that have changed, but it looks like you've got much more control over the exposure now - the new pics look overall much more balanced and obviously you're able to post larger zooms now - but that clearly shows the quality of your painting as there so so much more detail to see!
(thats also a pretty small mini, IIRC)

The lighting is much better also in the new ones - doesn't seem like any need for new lamps as viewed from this monitor!

More please!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sven
NMM adept

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Mon 9 Apr, 13:17

Yeah I agree.. not only are they sharper but more well-lit as well! Smile

moooore we want mooore
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Mon 9 Apr, 14:31

@Orb
The reason for buying a new lamp is to get a more convenient photo set-up where I have room to mount my camera on a tripod and all. I'm really happy with the lighting as it is now, but one of the lamps I'm using is fastened under a kitchen cupboard. Smile And, yes, the mini is small... 20 mm to the top of her head.

I'm very happy with this new camera really and I've noticed vast improvements in many areas. The resolution, obviously, is better as it's a 7.1 Mpixel camera instead of 2.1.

It captures colours a lot better (it has different settings for colour treatment and if I chose "Vibrant colours" it is perfect for mini photography). It also shows a lot of subtle colour shifts that were completely lost with my old camera.

It has a much wider tonal range which shows particularly in the shaded areas. My old camera had a tendency to underexpose the shaded areas, thus creating large dark areas where details were lost in darkness. This camera manages to pick out the details even in shaded spots and also reproduce the colours there more accurately (probably due to better aperture settings). Actually, the lighting set up was the same in the pictures I showed above... It also have a setting for different lighting conditions so that colours will be reproduced accurately.

It focuses much better and creates very sharp contours between various areas (if they are supposed to be sharp, that is... Wink). The level of artefacts is also much better (almost non-existant). This makes thing look smoother and cleaner but also makes it easier to mask out the mini and apply the gradient backdrop.

Ok, here's another mini with my new camera...

While the size and quality of the photos shows some flaws in the painting that bothers me somewhat, I still like the photos much better than the old ones and I'm still quite proud of this mini.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sven
NMM adept

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Mon 9 Apr, 17:33

mm.. looks great! Smile There are a bit much natural shadows on this picture though so for picture quality I think new lighting will be an investment too..!

On another matter: When are you heading up here? I might actually be travelling down to Stockholm in a week or two... Going to see a play my ex-girlfriend stars in Smile

Might need a couch to sleep on for a night... What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Mon 9 Apr, 18:08

Yeah, sorry that my visit has been pushed forward a bit... but I'm still planning on going. As it looks now, it'll be end of April or beginning of May. And for other reasons it can't be much later than that either...

If you come to Stockholm there's a couch here (bšddsoffa) waiting for you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sven
NMM adept

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Mon 9 Apr, 20:53

Great! Very Happy

I'll get back to you on the stockholm trip Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Tue 10 Apr, 15:35

Yes, do that. But the sooner the better, so that I know when you're coming. This winter/spring has been extremely eventful for me... unforseen things (not necessarily dramatic ones) have really piled up. Can't remember when I had a completely free weekend last time...

How's your schedule looking end of April/beginning of May?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sven
NMM adept

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Tue 10 Apr, 16:21

Preliminary I will be going to Stockholm the 18th (wednesday) and stay to the 19th

My schedule then looks great atm.. Smile further on into May it doesn't look as good. Got a trip to Copenhagen, fulltime work for at least a week + that we are about to perform some kind of practical study in sociology in May. So it will be a very busy month.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Tue 10 Apr, 16:35

Ok, so end of April is better than beginning of May, then?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sven
NMM adept

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Tue 10 Apr, 17:48

Doesn't matter, it all really starts to kick in around the 10th of May. But before that It's pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ritual
Blending master
Blending master

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   Tue 10 Apr, 17:49

Ok, I'm going to talk to my other friend then, and start to plan this trip in detail. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...   

Back to top Go down

I'm finally getting off my arse and buying a new camera...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Miniature Painting Concept Forum-
Jump to: